Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Joy of Knowing Math

As you know I went to Catholic grammar schools from kindergarten thru 8th grades. You also know that in (my - all?), catholic schools, memorization (rote), was king. Whether it was places in the world like Uruquay from Geography, "Who is God?" from Catechism, or 6x9 from Arithmetic class (Ans. 54), it was all good. By the end of sixth grade, taught by Sister Florence (Flossie), I knew my times tables easily. And that knowledge has served me in good stead.

In 9th grade I went to public school, Fisher Junior High in Ewing Twp. We lived just a mile or two down the road and sometimes I would walk it. Other times I'd get a ride in Jimmie Falzini's 1956 blue Ford. In that grade I loved Mr. Fenton's style and youthfulness.  He was only 28 or so? He taught Algebra I with enthusiasm. After a short while I understood what A = B & C, or A = B x C, really meant. After a few months it all came easily. When I wasn't throwing hard boiled eggs at other kids in class, and acting the class clown, I was learning.

My joy of learning started decreasing by the end of 9th grade, and Geometry in 10th was hard for me (I got a C), and in 11th I got a D in Algebra II. I failed Chemistry in 12th and barely graduated Ewing High school in '68, having to repeat gym class. I was also absent 39 days that year from skipping classes. Junior College in Fullerton, California, lasted three months (not because I was stupid, but because I was Janetsick). Although, I earned 44 credits from Mercer County Community College (MCCC), by going nights over many years starting in the mid-eighties thru the 90s. My course work and experience was evaluated by Thomas Edison College in 2000, and I only need 39 more credits for a Bachelor's.

But after high school life started for real. A steady, adult job and renting an apartment. Pot, hash and uppers in between. I opened a bank account at the old (now gone), Trenton Trust bank started by Mary K. Roebling of the famous family. Now its Wells Fargo bank which has been okay. Anyway, I needed to know math. And I knew enough.

I have always been good at estimating also, something they teach today in elementary schools."About how many apples are there if a basket is full of 25, and a barrel has 92?" Estimating well is a valuable skill. (Ans. 120 is close enough.) I use my 10 times time table constantly as well, even for fractions. "If Alaska has 732,000 people, and Bahai's are 1 % of the population, how many Baha'is is this?" Well, 10% is 73,000, and 10% of that (i.e. 1% of the total), is 7,300. "About 7,300." "Right, Rod!" I can do stuff like that in seconds. It's like my spelling ability - in seconds. It pops into my head.

I do remember I liked Economics in 11th grade with Mr. Mervica. We followed the stock market. I had picked IBM, not knowing it would become a part of my career later. It was over $200 then (and the stock has split fifteen time or so since then). Wish I had bought some, or convinced my parents to. Learning about free enterprise and free markets, budgeting etc. was all good and stayed with me. Every student should take economics, now including world economies and markets for sure.

Basically, those skills in math have been enough to easily get me thru life, a career in information processing and technology (and energy), making buying decisions (before they had comparison labels like "price per pound" etc.), being a community treasurer for over thirty years (off and on), and maintaining a check book, cash journal and doing formal budgets and reports and much more. And for managing finances for my two businesses, RR Energy & IT Consulting, and ABLiA Media Co.

So I thank the Sisters of Mercy and my high school teachers for mostly doing a good job. I only remember one teacher I hated, Sister Mary Constance in third grade -- we never got along. One or two teachers were boring as hell, mainly in high school, but the rest were gems. And my college professors had outstanding qualities -- they were engaging, smart, personable, and direct. I don't remember any getting badly sidetracked (which I hate).

Today, of course, memorization of everything is out of the question. "Mere cramming of the memory with facts about, arithmetic, grammar, geography, languages, etc., has comparatively little effect in producing noble and useful lives." (Source: UHJ) Also because information changes minute by minute (look at the loss of Pluto). So "look it up" has become the teachers watchword, with computers in every classroom. (well, they better be!)

Everyone needs to memorize the basics, and these math basics were enough for me, altho now there is much, much more to learn.

By Rodney Richards, NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and welcome