Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Joy of Working

America's a great country, right? That's what everyone thinks anyway. 

But today Oct.8th, after a week of a stupid, uncaring, and threatening to destroy week, for no good reason other than ideological differences, it's a horrible day to be an American and either not get paid, or lose money from your business. Me? I'm just trying to copyright me first memoir, finished at 8 am. But the copyright office is closed.
   
So anyway, we are a great country and we have great problems to go along with the responsibility to be as great as we can.

Well I will admit I'm still a very happy American. I have a great wife of 42 years and adult kids who are smart and happy themselves. Along with tons of close family & friends. I'm very lucky to have retired after 39 years of public service, as well as Janet after serving 25 years an elementary teacher, so we have decent income. I started Social Security last year which helps....

And that's how to be happy #1. Working and earning fair wages. It's a bonus if you like your job, and here's some tricks I learned to liking what I did, no matter what it was, even pushing loaded hand trucks around. 

#1. Take an interest in what you do. It's important to you and your family, your boss and your company to succeed; and to the country, no matter what work you perform, if done well, its a service to your country and all humanity.
  
Here's how I enjoyed work and tricks I used
a. I took an interest in my work and my bosses needs and the departments goals where I worked. I learned what they were, like the popular late '90s Mission Statement. Then I really focused on the work I was doing and those around me. I came up with a few ideas to make it or other operations more efficient. Whatever I did, I tried to smile when I remembered. I wrote  memos/letters, and later emails, explaining my recommendations to my boss. The changes must have benefits in either saving processing time or money; streamlining etc. I didn't worry or get upset if my observations weren't accepted. My focus was on making our jobs accurate, and a little easier. After I made  the recommendations, I forgot about them. No reason to get mad. Just keep doing a good job.

I wish I had made more suggestions and listened to staff more often.

In other words, I tried to be alert and pay attention. And I must say all my co-workers did also.

b. Something I could've done better, was to get to know my coworkers better and what they did. They are just as important as me. i tried not to think in terms of important vs more important; and to think in terms that its all important or it wouldn't be done and we wouldn't have jobs. I did try to be courteous -- please and thank you's and "Atta way, good job!" Simple heartfelt praises will improve morale dramatically. For a supervisor its always about appreciating and challenging staff to excel. Doing these simple things made us a little more indispensable and improved our value to the org.

I went to many luncheons and Christmas parties (I said the benediction at some), and tried to get to know people better. Many times these personal connections helped get the job done better and quicker.  And in learning the business, which is the #1 rule of working, I received recognition and promotions, unasked for.  

I also read the monthly tips newsletter for work, with how to solve personality problems and improving cooperation, building teams and all of that, and implemented what I could, like a Unit work manual with guidelines.  Chris Chianese distributed the tips, and also because he's smart and knows the job and people, he's now the Director of my old Division in the State Treasury Department, managing 100 staff.

All this stuff works well in an office environment which I worked in. How did you excel at your job?

Best, Rodney Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and welcome