Friday, December 6, 2013

The Joy of Rumi

During the '60s I read Erich Fromm's The Art of Loving. Heaven knows how it ended up in my hands, and I don't remember one point he made in the book, but I've always remembered I read it. It must have meant something then. I still have fondness when I think of him and that book, so it left a positive impression.

This past week on Monday, the mornings when I volunteer at Hamilton Twp Public Library, I was doing my job in the Literature section of books to be put out for sale. I pick all 8 boxes to go out for sale, and the 8 shelves of softcovers and hardcovers (on the purple cart marked "Literature") Great fun, decent work, I get my volunteer stars in heaven, and I take my time enjoyin' Dunkin between activities. And often my eye lands on a book of interest I want to read.

We have a system for our 20,000 books to be sold (to benefit Library needs), which is, after each sale, whoever's in charge of their section, like Wars, Religion, Reference, kids books and so on, writes a small black dot on the item's price tag. Again, this is after each sale. When that price tag, which is invariably $1 or $.50, gets three dots, we move it out of the collection into the World Books pile in the back. Volunteers pack hundreds of those books into boxes and away they go, in fair to excellent condition. Basically we get the shipping cost back at 3 cents per book. 3 cents!

I was carrying the three-dot book RUMI Poet and Mystic to World Books, but stopped and put it on the shelf by my coat to buy when I left. Very happy I did. The reading is light, clear, and written straight to the heart and soul. Reminds me of the feelings I got reading Mr. Fromm, or Lao Tzu, or the I Ching. Especially having re-read the Seven Valleys and the Four Valleys by Baha'u'llah.

Jalalu'l-Din Rumi is a Perfect Man, in my eyes and heart. He is the greatest Persian poet and mystic, lived in the 13th century, a master Sufi and dervish, a Shaykh -- teacher, genius, a lover and knower of Allah, and I am touched when reading his short odes and thinking 'how so, how true.'

Another Perfect Man, or almost, another human saint, passed away from this world to his celestial home just hours ago. A Champion of the people he cared for in South Africa, and all people really. He will be missed temporarily until the joy of knowing he's traversing God's glorious mansions helps us realize we can have those mansions here on earth, for everyone, some day. Isn't that our goal? What goal can be more important than serving each other and caring for one another, like a family? 

There are thousands more champions here, and everywhere; millions, trying to ease the sufferings -- trying to eliminate bad laws and bad ideas. These champions are heartfelt and determined to bring goodness. I hope to be called one, somewhere, even if just in a small way, when my body dies.

Best wishes in your endeavors for good.

By Rodney Richards copyright 2013

Subscribe to this blog if you could, or email me comments at 1950ablia@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and welcome