Sunday, April 14, 2013

42

America needed a reminder.

I'm not one to say "never forget," because I believe in forgiveness. It's the first step towards forgetfulness and soul-healing. And soul-healing is needed after watching the film depiction of Phillies baseball team manager Ben Chapman lambasting and hurting Jackie Robinson with vitriol, among many insults and death threats by others.

I've always known some Phillies fans were tough, but not that tough. Not as tough and rough as some were during the mid-forties, as depicted in this movie when Jackie made his major league baseball debut. The Phillies have been my favorite team ever since I started paying a little attention to sports. I was hooked on them after they won the 1980 World Series. Before them it was the Yankees of course, having grown up in the fifties reading, seeing, and hearing of Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle. Dad took me to a game at the old Yankee stadium circa 1964 which thrilled and impressed me. But sports have never been my thing, although I easily see why it is for billions.

America needed a reminder.

I was living south of LA during the Watts events of 1965. I remember the black and white images on the TV news, seeing chaos and rampages, and cops and storeowners. 34 deaths and over 1,000 injuries. Over $40 million in damages. Millions of confirmations for some, of the activities they watched, disgust for others, and incredulity for still others. On both sides of the aisle. Watching 42 made me understand why. I would be angry also under the poor treatment received at the hands of some others. Seeing 42 vividly portrayed the motivation for that anger -- on both sides. On one side ingrained prejudice, on the other side long suffering. I got angry watching the movie. And very sad. Some of those hurts continue, and in many more forms.

We are human. Most of us have a breaking point. Jackie did - but restrained himself when it came to others. The scene in the dugout hallway with Rickey consoling Jackie, is what I've felt many times for my African-American brothers and sisters, but was unable to express. Now I'm able to express it in my old age. There is no excuse for the bad behavior against our fellow men and women, and children. However, we all slip up. Most of us have hurt others, intentionally or unintentionally. If we were man enough, we apologized. We have to learn to undue prejudice, the same way we learned it -- from our families, teachers, and friends.

But "some" is the keyword. Not all caucasians and not all African-Americans. Never all. Only some.

42 demonstrates clearly what many of those "somes" experienced for hundreds, if not more, years. On both sides. 42 depicts what some of those "somes" did to combat Racism, like Pee Wee Reese did in the Cincinatti game.

I don't know if I'll ever have the strength of character Jackie Robinson and Branch Rickey had. But as a white man I can aspire to that of Pee Wee Reese.

I hope to see the day America no longer needs reminders.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and welcome