Friday, April 19, 2013

The Right Words at the Right Time

The indefatigable Marlo Thomas compiled stories of well-known personalities -- artists, authors, celebrities, humanitarians etc. into a tome called The Right Words at the Right Time published in 2002. She calls the writers "and Friends" in the book title, and, I would like to be their friend also after reading their short inspirational stories. Each story written by her friends is clear, direct, moving, poignant and true (it would appear).

I had casually picked this book off the shelf at the Hatboro Library in Hatboro, Pennsylvania, a quaint place on Main Street. I was there early for my noon Memoir Writing Group meeting and I had half an hour to kill. I'm an on-time person. When I go to a meeting I'm either on time or early. I've always been that way and so is my wife Janet. So, here I was. Other times when early at the library, I had skimmed thru books like Stephen Covey's The Eighth Habit, or books on publishing. I was trying to get my ducks in order for pushing my first book Episodes of A Blessed Life in America by June 2013, after all.

These personal stories were fun, interesting and moving, both spiritually and intellectually, and on other levels. It's a book about how these personalities were moved to change their lives and ultimately become who they are today by the influence of another meaningful person in their lives -- a teacher, editor, coach, parent etc. Some of these storytellers were Muhammed Ali, Tom Brokaw, Venus Williams, Al Pacino, Laura Bush and Billy Crystal to name a very few.

I only had time to read some, which I share here:

1. Jeff Bezos' (founder of Amazon) father who told him "You'll learn one day it's much harder to be kind then to be clever." This is my problem -- clothing my words with kindness before speaking directly. Usually my words cut like a knife. Not a good way to make or keep friends.

2. Steven Spielberg who remembers Davy Crockett of TV and movie fame saying "Be sure you're right, then go ahead." Oh how I wished I had killed a million dollar purchase when I had my doubts, instead of being swayed by others. I learned a valuable lesson that year in the aftermath of unnecessarily high prices.

3. Gloria Steinem, who wrote "My inner world is no more important than the outer one, but no less important either." Gloria, I'm glad you got this far in your thinking. Many people don't weigh spirituality in their lives. I weigh it even higher, but that's me. Living it is a different matter -- much harder.

4. Oprah Winfrey, who's General Manager, Dennis, at her first Chicago Talk Show, told her "Just go on the air and be yourself." I think we are always "on the air," and it's so noticeable when we are not our true selves, nor true to ourselves. My bipolar experiences have taught me the reality of not being myself, even though at the time, I really thought and felt I was the Christ.

5. How Carly Simon overcame her severe stuttering after her mother told her gently "Sing it," and she did.

6. How Mel Brooks senior producer John Calley on Blazing Saddles told him "Mel, if you're going to step up to the bell, ring it." To me it's a metaphor for don't overthink it -- 'just do it' as Nike would say.

Bottom line, most of us have someone giving us great advice -- we just have to be listening for it and recognize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and welcome