Thursday, March 6, 2014

How I Hate Thee Google

Okay, nobody, nobody confirmed for me that they or someone they knew had trouble signing in/logging on to their multiple Google accounts. In fact, I seemed to be okay for a few days myself (or maybe I didn't check each one?). Either way, I'm shut out again!

For example, I have a "Google Gmail" link on my Toolbar. Clicking it I used to get a normal "blank" gmail login screen. Not any more. Now the name field is automatically filled in with "rodrichards62," which is my every day gmail account. All from their darn cookies. But I also have two critical business accounts, and one old one I never deleted because I have newsletter and other energy accounts linked to it.

Another example. I can click Google.com/gmail, and my "rodrichards62" login screen will automatically appear. No way around it. None. That name comes up every single time, no matter what gmail login screen I find and try. Before, when I first started having this problem, I searched and found a Google login screen that still logged me in as my every day account name, but at the bottom of the screen was a link that said "Sign in with a different account," and for a while it worked! It let me enter a different email address and my unique password, and it worked. Thank God -- I was happy again. 

For a while. But now when I click it, it comes with a non-login screen. And my regular Gmail address is automatically filled in. Filled in! But underneath it says "Add account." I don't want to add an account! Don't you see that? Just give me access!

But clicking it, Google wants me, to, you guessed it, "Create an Account." Create!  So it's that easy to create a new Gmail account, but Google won't let me. It's stone walling me, won't let me access another account that I've had since 2000 or so, or the business one I've been using for five years! Google, have you done another stupid crazy thing to your users? Oh, How could I forget. Yes you have -- Google+.

And I've tried all means, all links, to get to and log onto my other three accounts. All to no avail. No way.

All this whining and I have only one question for you Google: Why did you change the old, the regular old, blank login screen? Well, I'm no dummy. This problem occurred when you decided to impose this "One Account" campaign you are forcing on us. Oh! "One account will get you to all things Google!" I never asked for that! Are you very effectively telling me and showing me that I have to "abandon" my other three valid gmail accounts? It doesn't say this in your Terms of Service. No, it only asks if I'm using a gmail account for business. I guess so you can charge me hard cash in the near future? Otherwise, why do you need to know if accounts are "free?"

This "One Account" business came about the same time as implementing Google+. What an abomination. Poor explanations or worse, none, on how to set it up or use it. As if EVERYONE on the Internet, all 2.5 billion+ of us, should know what you mean and what clicking blue words really implies? Why can't you use the "Learn more" button like the truly enlightened companies do? 

That innocuous blue link you sent to everyone which said "Try Google+ for _________," was the worst, baddest, sorriest link I ever clicked. If it wasn't for my many "friends" on it now, and new connections, I would go to your ridiculous Settings screen and click the red "delete." And thanks for not providing a complaint form. 

But I digress. After much search and trial and error, it hit me that you were always populating "rodrichards62" each and every time, because it was cookie embedded and attached to my gmail. Well, Ha! I fixed you. When I want to use a different gmail account than the one you automatically supply, I just clear my cookies first, a very good thing to do periodically anyway. Even tho it's a pain refilling out my HGTV Sweepstakes info.

Then the "Name" field on your login screen comes up a blessed blank, and I can fill in any account name I want. So there. Blah!

Thank the programmers there's always a minimum of two ways to do the same thing on these marvelous new computers (except Windows 8, of course). That is, if you're savvy enough to find the alternative.

by Rodney Richards Copyright 2014    
Click the free "Subscribe" button or email me at 1950ablia@gmail.com
My poetic memoir Episodes is available at www.amazon.com/episodes-rodney-richards/dp/0615914705/    Check it out at no obligation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and welcome