Saturday, November 24, 2012

Starting to Write Memoir - Part two



About writing memoir, in general:

That’s where the “art” in “S-T-A-R-T” comes in. Like I said, writing my autobiography from scratch was easy. Making it art, or good memoir, is difficult. Just as Stephen King has said, reading your genre is key to good writing. At the top of my list is On Writing, King’s own memoir, then comes The Memoir Project and so many others. King says dialogue attribution is very important, and adding dialogue is critical to good memoir. But, like most visual learners, I have a terrible memory when it comes to the exact words spoken. Whereas Tony can rattle off pages of dialogue, I remember only snippets. Just enough to make it real and believable, and, that’s all that’s needed. Style is another aspect of good writing, and again Stephen hits the nail on the head when he cites The Elements of Style (1918) by William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White. I quote Stephen, “There is little or no detectable bullshit in that book,” and, it’s only 85 pages long. However, the most important thing for any writer, is his or her own “voice.”

I found my voice on January 14, 2012, at the 19th Annual Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway. It was in the Advanced Memoir class. I wrote three short paragraphs about my stay in an orphanage, because of a family tragedy in 1954. The family was devastated, and became scattered. 21 rewrites and months later I had a three page, very compelling story. One that resulted in stunned silence when read aloud at the Green Acre Baha'i School Writer's Workshop. For the first time, I had found my own voice as a writer. Finding mine has made my writing only that much easier. Now I help others find theirs, and pay close attention when I hear others share their voice. Reading other memoirs and listening to others, helps develop mine more clearly. It also helps me project louder and more confidently.

The hard part of writing memoir, of course, is writing about oneself. I am the “star” of my own writing, again from the word “START,” as in starting one’s memoir. It can be tough writing about oneself. Especially, if they’re heart wrenching experiences.  The sensitive personalities and feelings of every reader showed forth recently, and astounded our public audience. Our class leader Maria  organized and hosted our first public readings at the Lawrence Library in August. (1) I and others were moved by Marion’s “Please Let Me Die,” Robert’s “End Games,” and Carmella’s “Gift from God.” A few of us contributed some light pieces as well. We have to do this more than once a year!

Memoir isn’t really persuasive writing. After all, I’m not really hoping to change your opinion, or get you to buy something when I tell my story. Unless its Dunkin coffee or my book, of course! Memoir isn’t business or technical writing, far from it. Technical writing is boring, but that’s my background. So I must always incorporate facts and new information into my writing. For example, did you know that only 2% of writers even publish? That’s still over 325,000 books a year in the U.S.! But I’m slowly learning how to write better, and now I really like it, without holding back. That’s another tough but necessary part – not holding back. Yet my fellow memoir classmates inspire and continue to surprise me with their honesty. I can do no less. 

 (Note 1) Sadly, Maria passed to the next world suddenly and shockingly on November 16, 2012, the result of an auto accident. She will be sorely missed. Our 20+ writers hope to continue classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and welcome