Sunday, November 18, 2012

Welcome to A Blessed Life in America!

Hi, my name's Rod and I love writing, especially memoir. Are you writing or have you written your memoir? If so I'd love to hear from you. I also love America. I'm biased of course, having been born here, but we all love our own country, right? And even though I'm a naturalized U.S. citizen (but who cares as long as your a citizen somewhere), I consider myself a citizen of the world as well. Do you? We can debate the relative benefits of citizenship and countries in future blogs. Let's just say, I'm extremely blessed and always have been. Every one deserves world citizenship and a happy, safe and wealthy life.

I am a technical writer by profession, boring procurement stuff like Requests for Proposals, i.e. bid documents, that were sent to potential bidders who sent back their sometimes low ball, sometimes just right, and sometimes outrageous bids, then I helped evaluate and award them. Among a lot of other dull procurement duties were buying hardware and software, services, and energy. But I loved it all, especially the writing part, and now with free blogs, I can write what I want, again publicly. Only this time its whatever I want to write, and not what the State of New Jersey needs or wants. I did their procurement and contracting writing stuff for over thirty years, and, like I said, I loved it. The best part of that of course was that I had a good paying job for thirty years plus.

Now I'm happily retired, not young but still young enough, and my mental faculties are all there, just slowing gradually. I'm accompanied by my wife of over 40 years, my beloved redhead Janet, who retired in 2011 after teaching elementary school for twenty-five years. She is still just as energetic as the day we had our hippie wedding outside, and is a fount of enthusiasm, creativity and information. I say all this because I wasn't ready to retire in 2008 when the State offered its buy-out package. But it was so good, I couldn't pass it up, and reluctantly left after an eight month extension. And because of the poor economy, my slot didn't open up to a younger worker, or any slots for that matter. Still haven't (2012). That's sad because the State of New Jersey, like all states, needs all the help it can get.
I won't bore you with life details here; at 62 my autobiography is now over 400 pages, and needs to be cut drastically -- so I'm working on that.

So I'm hoping to be open and just share - thoughts, opinions, emotions and personal insights, and would love to hear yours. You might also try my other blog Good Ideas for NJ, also on Blogger. That's a little more established than this new one.

Oh, and did I mention I have a blessed life? I'm thankful for that and I would have to admit that I could die any day, and be joyful about it -- but that's a new post.

7 comments:

  1. I recently read Rod's blog, I live with Rod & now I am back to my native country India... One thing I would say that Rod really cool person I ever met & lived with his family, Rod makes his surrounding by unexpected energetic & joyful comments. Now I am more eager to know about his writing adventures & his life experiences to be shared ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dev, I appreciate your comment! And I'm so pleased you had a good experience living in America and that being home is even better. I just heard on NPR an Indian food org representative defending the right of farmers to plant seeds from crops they've raised, instead of having to buy new (patented) seed each season. It seems big corporations have monopolies on seed.
    I think if the farmer grows it, it belongs to him, don't you?
    Rod in New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is some small group of people who encouraging patent businesses to roll, but farmer union in India is quite strong, government will support farmers, coz mainly India depend on agricultural businesses.

    Government & Citizen can't afford such patent businesses & farming businesses to become dirty corporate level businesses. most of farmers won't ever give their head into this issues, they knew if they stop farming what will happen to nation.

    you will surprise by knowing that there are many laws in India, that people don't care about them & industries never took over the public with their money making plans or systems. People just don't bother if any law like same comes out they act like it never occurred hahaha... it's very very hard to convince Indian consumers for any sales person in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rod!

    Nice looking blog, I like it! I would suggest throwing a blank line in between the paragraphs just to make for easier reading, but otherwise, it is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rod,

    This looks great! And what a fantastic way of getting your voice and your writing out there. I'll definitely be coming back to see what else you've written.

    We missed you yesterday. See you in a couple weeks?

    Francine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried--just can't imagine you angry. Makes me grin. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. Love your writing. I have a blog on blogspot--mostly old family stories.-much affection Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, how little everyone knows me, especially my old self as a youth and young man. Hopefully you'll find some interesting tidbits as we progress...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged and welcome