Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Joy of Car Problems: Part one

No one likes car trouble, but it hits all of us sometimes. Whether a flat tire (Janet gets one per year), or a blown engine rod in our '66 Chevy Nova in 1973. Its a testimony to most guys it seems, that we learn to change tires, and somehow extricate ourselves from breakdowns on strange, rural roads, and learn to make other car repairs, change plugs or oil etc. Easy in the old days. Being a guy, and married, I've always been expected, and rightly so, to take care of our cars, even my daughter's. Luckily son Jesse doesn't own a car, living in Manhattan, or I'd be responsible for that also. But i don't mind (grumbling). One secret we stumbled upon? Buying more reliable cars, like Hondas and Toyotas, helps, even tho they cost more, comparing feature to feature. Fewer /no breakdowns, and minor repairs depending on age. After 10 years its always better to get rid of any car. But back then our cars were older.

I'm 63 now, been driving since I got my license at sixteen in California in a 1957 Chevy Bel Air, a big unmanageable boat. Even drove over a curb during my driver's test. Passed anyway. Traded license in for a Jersey one when I was eighteen (no driving test, just written). So I/we, my wife Janet of 42 years, have owned almost two dozen cars between us. Here's some highlights:

January 1967. My dad unexpectently, and sadly, trades in the '57 Chevy for a new two-door Subaru, its first year in the states from Japan. Two stroke engine requiring oil mixture. Max speed on fast California freeways? 60 mph, and you felt it, and trucks almost pushed the car off the road it was so small. But no engine problems, no flat tires, only body damage. Body damage from when I opened my driver's side door one night traveling down the highway because it wasn't closed all the way. normally not a problem. But I forgot. Because the door opened forwards and outwards, the opposite of 99% of cars, when I opened the door the wind caught it, flung it back into the car body, denting it and the door significantly. My dad was lying drunk in the passenger's seat when it happened, passed out. I never told him I did it, letting him think it was from a hit and run in the bar parking lot where I had picked him up that night. And gas mileage was great in that little car!

Summer 1969. With my girlfriend Janet's help on her State farm Insurance, I/we buy Rosy Badi, a red and white 1963 VW bus with canvas rollback top, and windows around the perimeter. Top speed? 50 mph. In winter, freezing because the heater was terrible anyway, and there were holes in the floorboards letting rushing cold air in. But a really fun vehicle when we packed our friends in and drove from one Baha'i fireside to another. I only had to replace the rebuilt alternator on it, myself, 'cause we couldn't afford dealer/mechanic'c bill.

Circa 1972, a new car, only two years old. after we've married. Janet needs super reliable transportation to her teaching job in Hamilton, sixteen miles away. It wasn't. Forest green VW Wagon, automatic on the floor. Their first attempt at automatics I believe, because you still had to shift at certain points. Car ran like a top, only two problems. Coming home from anywhere to our three room Hopewll Boro NJ apartment, basically had to pull nose forward into our parking spot. In cold weather, it would start up great, but, the gearshift would not go into reverse to back down the driveway. Absolutely would not! "Damn you! Damn you! Smash, smash, smash" I would pummel the gear shifter, ultimately it worked, but for no rhyme or reason. Other seasons? Fine. Mechanics could not fix it. Lived with it. That meant me getting up earlier, starting the VW up in the freezing cold, somehow getting it in gear, and moving it so Janet could hop in and drive to work. Once transmission warmed up it was fine all day.

Then one day, driving east on Carter Road toward Hamilton, a buck strikes Janet's passenger side while going 50 mph. Car totalled. Janet's only accident since 1972 to 2013. stupidly, we took insurance money and had it repaired at Tom's Auto Body on Route 18. Don't ask me why, probably not emnough to buy a decent alternate car with. No memory of how much longer we kept that Wagon.

Circa 1973-1976 my Chevy Impala. Year 1965, gold color, perfect condition. Magnesium wheels, five spokes. Interior black upholstery, like leather. Bucket seats. Four-on-the-four shifter with hard to push clutch. Almost to hard for Janet to push the few times she had to drive it. 327 hp engine under the wide, wide hood. Cost to me used? No more than $1,000. Loved that car! Could burn rubber in first and second gears, and did. Big and fast. Clutch went. Sat on blocks in our driveway for weeks, me reading up on how to replace it myself, but gave up, and sold it for a few hundred dollars "As is." Along with the '57 Bel Air, still miss that car.

More cars to follow.

So, in America, its rare to stick with one car, it always get replaced. What was your "first car?' Favorite car? Let me know.

by Rodney Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and welcome